The famous right to take never really took hold in France. However, the decree dates back to 2011, when the first new generation electric cars were born (Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe, Peugeot Ion, etc.). But in eleven years, we cannot say that charging stations abound in condominium parking lots. The failure, sometimes, with technical, financial or administrative obstacles that sooner or later will be a problem for drivers, while the market share of electric has just surpassed that of diesel for the first time in France. It is worth remembering, however, that condominium housing represents almost 10 million housing units in total in our country. In other words, approximately one in two French people would live in a condominium and 7 million of them have parking! Assuming that 17 million electric cars will be on French roads by 2035 (Enedis estimate), then we realize the challenge that awaits the curators. To speed up the pace, residents will now be able to rely directly on Enedis, France’s energy distribution network manager.
Enedis to the end of the line
🤝 Alongside its partners, Enedis is mobilizing across France to connect the infrastructure that will power electric vehicles on public roads, parking lots and homes. pic.twitter.com/dd75YFS5Vj
— Enedis (@enedis) September 23, 2022
If Enedis managed the distribution of electricity in homes, the last few meters between it and the charging station placed in the car park were until now the specialty of companies such as ZePlug or Park’nPlug. But thanks to the “Enedis” decree that has just been published, apartment buildings will now be able to turn to the French giant to install charging stations in car parks, free of charge. But, as you can imagine, someone will have to pay for using and installing the terminal. Here’s what the process will look like:
- Enedis initially advances the joint ownership of the costs of installing and connecting a collective infrastructure in the car park.
- The co-owners then request the connection of their individual parking space to this new collective facility and pay Enedis a contribution towards the cost of the collective infrastructure (sharing, whose terms of application have not yet been defined)
- Finally, they install and finance the individual charging station of their choice and sign an electricity supply contract with the supplier of their choice.
An attractive offer?
In other words, this decree allows Enedis to bear the costs of studies and the connection of the condominium to the charging infrastructure during construction. But it’s not free: they are really integrated into Turpe (electricity delivery charge, a tax that all French people already pay!) up to 60%. The remaining 40% of the installation will be paid for… by the end user of the charging station. The strong point of the “Enedis” decree is that condominiums no longer need to finance these connections, and it is up to Enedis to advance the money. But this advance in the law does not please private operators: “the decree provides that, in a collective residence, the connection of the horizontal column, which supplies the parking spaces, as opposed to the vertical column that supplies electricity to the apartments, will be the responsibility of all French people…The decree indicates that, within the scope of the horizontal column, a percentage of the connection costs will be pre-financed by Enedis, which will have the function of installing a Linky meter at each connected location.. The user will then have to refund 60% of the connection, the rest being already covered by Turpe. An estimated cost of between 1.5 and 2.4 billion euros, while solutions offered by private companies do not cost a penny of public money.“, explained the founder of ZePlug to Figaro. But the reality would be more complex: Enedis and the private operators would be more “complementary” than the competitors, since the market is huge. And for all those condominiums that don’t have the financial resources to advance jobs, Enedis is likely to be an attractive offer.
Compare the real range of the best electric cars according to our standardized measurement cycle. Battery capacity, consumption, autonomy, we’ll tell you everything!