Amazon is the #1 marketplace* in France in terms of online shopping. Culture, music, fashion, video games, high-tech equipment… millions of products are sold online in this general marketplace. Many French VSEs and SMEs use the platform on a daily basis to sell their products.
Want to get started on Amazon? Discover below the essential information to know, as well as the best practices to adopt to sell your products on Amazon in France and Europe.
What to know before signing up with Amazon
Before signing up, it is important to be aware of the different plans offered by Amazon:
- If you sell more than 40 items per month: 39 € without VAT per month
- If you sell less than 40 items per month: €0.99 without VAT per item sold
In addition to these prices, you will also get:
- Sales fees for each item sold: the fee amount depends on the product category. Sales rates vary between 8 and 15%.
- Shipping costs: These fees vary depending on the shipping method (Amazon or Seller). Management fees are also expected (€0.30 per item sold).
How to register with Amazon as a seller
To sell your products on Amazon, you must first create a seller account on the Amazon website dedicated to professionals.
Here are the items you will need:
- a professional email address or an Amazon customer account,
- a valid credit card (international cards accepted),
- a valid identity document (identity card or passport),
- business registration information (including VAT number).
How to distribute your products effectively
Does your e-commerce site feature a large volume of products? It may then be interesting to turn to e-commerce flow managers. These tools help you to distribute your products on your various sales channels: marketplaces, social networks, price comparison sites, affiliate sites, etc.
The advantages of e-commerce flow management tools:
- Automatic update of your product data in marketplaces,
- Centralization of all your orders,
- Inventory synchronization for real-time updates across all your sales channels after an order is placed.
What you need to know about product sheets
Here are the characteristics of a product listing on Amazon:
- Title: maximum of 200 characters. A particularity to know: the 1st letter of each word must be capitalized.
- Photos: 500×500 or 1000×1000 pixels.
- Variations: the different sizes or colors, for example.
- Key points: short, descriptive sentences about your product.
- Featured Offer: Customers can order through this location: “Buy Now” or “Add to Cart”.
- Other offers: identical products sold by other sellers.
- Description : add keywords to make customers more likely to find your product.
Delivery methods available to you
Two shipping methods are possible on Amazon:
- Sent by seller: you keep your stock and are in charge of shipping the products to the customers. Note: Shipping costs are charged by Amazon depending on the product category.
- Fulfilled by Amazon: the marketplace takes care of the packaging, labeling and shipping of the products. That means your products end up in Amazon’s storage spaces. Good to know: Shipping costs are applied by Amazon depending on the product type, dimensions and weight, as well as storage costs (billing per cubic meter per month).
See Amazon shipping rates
3 tips to increase your sales on Amazon
1. Gain visibility with keywords
To increase your sales on Amazon, the key is to optimize the visibility of your products first. It is important to know that Amazon visitors enter keywords in the search bar. Therefore, it is necessary to optimize your product listings to the fullest by choosing the right keywords.
Amazon recommends titles of around 60 characters, providing as much product detail as possible: product type, brand, material or main feature, color, size, and quantity. In fact, every word in the title can be the subject of a search by a visitor. By optimizing your keywords, you promote your products to appear in the results.
2. Enrich your product pages with key elements
Here are the key elements to an effective Amazon product page:
- Attractive product titles,
- Excellent quality product images,
- A competitive price compared to your competitors,
- A clear descriptive list of the product,
- Complete and original product descriptions,
- Free or affordable delivery costs,
- Clear communication about delivery conditions: costs and deadlines,
- Authentic customer reviews to reassure your potential customers.
3. Use Amazon Ads
For faster positive impact on your sales, you can also opt for paid advertising offered by Amazon.
The marketplace offers 4 types of advertising solutions:
- Sponsored products: you can create an ad for an individual product, which will appear on search results pages and product detail pages.
- Sponsored brands: are ads present in search results that feature your company logo, a custom title and display up to 3 of your products.
- Amazon stores: an Amazon store dedicated to your brand where you can highlight your top products.
- Sponsored Show: display ads on the Amazon homepage, but also outside: on Twitch and on third-party apps and websites.
*Source: Feb 2022