Picture of online shopping in Quebec: who, what, how much and where? | Isarta information

April 1, 2022

The latest NETendances 2021 survey, conducted by the Academy of Digital Transformation (ATN) has just been released. Discusses e-commerce in the province in 2021. Here are the highlights.

In 2021, three-quarters (75%) of Quebec adults made at least one online purchase in person. This represents a slight drop (-3%) compared to last year. This decrease in the percentage of online shoppers is attributable to the fact that adults aged 55 to 64 and people aged 75 and over were less likely to shop online in 2021. The total value of online purchases made at 2021 per Quebec adults is around $16.1 billion (+30% since 2019).

Based on monthly purchases made on the Internet, in 2021, each month we observed a greater proportion of adults shopping online compared to 2019. The biggest differences between
the year 2021 and 2019 are observed for the months of February (+20%), April (+19%), August (+19%) and December (+18%).

In 2021, the three categories of products and services most valued by online shoppers in Quebec continue to be clothing, shoes, jewelry and accessories, while 61% of adults bought them online, music, movies and video games represent 36% of shoppers, closely followed. by the electronics category with 33% of buyers.

Furthermore, the addition of new product and service categories introduced in 2021 showed that 28% of Quebec online shoppers purchased food or beverages on the Internet from a large chain of food retailers, 18% ordered home decor products online. , 15% ready-to-cook boxes such as Goodfood, Miss Fresh, HelloFresh or Cook it, 10% made hotel reservations over the Internet, while 6% bought airline tickets and 3% discounted vacation packages over the web.

In red = 2021, in dark blue = 2020, in light blue = 2019

Evolution of the amount of online purchases in 2021

In 2021, more than half (57%) of online shoppers in Quebec say the dollar value of their online purchases has increased compared to 2020.

In 2021, 47% of Quebec online shoppers say the total dollar value of their purchases made online in 2021 has increased on Amazon’s websites or mobile apps, while 28% confirm the same statement view of the business websites of Quebec.

The breakdown of online purchases made on different websites and mobile apps

Based on the total amount of online purchases made in 2021, survey results show that, on average, 48% of online shoppers’ purchases in Quebec were made on the Amazon website, up from 7% since 2020.

As for Quebec’s commercial websites, 19% of purchases were made there, down from 6% in one year, while 18% of purchases were made on the websites or apps of other Canadian traders and 15% on the websites or apps of other foreign traders. . tenants, comparable results compared to last year (18% and 16%, respectively).

By 2021, it should be noted that one-third (34%) of Quebec adults and nearly half (45%) of Quebec online shoppers are Amazon Prime members. Note that this is an increase of 8 percentage points among adults in Quebec overall and 11 percentage points more specifically among online shoppers compared to 2020.

Is it easy to identify Quebec products online?

Quebec cyber shoppers are divided when it comes to identifying Quebec products online (50% find it easy, 36% find it difficult, and 14% either don’t know or prefer not to respond).

A word about the blue basket. In April 2020, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, a new initiative supported by the Quebec government was launched to boost local commerce: the Blue Basket (lepanierbleu.ca).

As of January 2022, just over half (52%) of Quebec adults were familiar with Le Panier Bleu, and by 2021, 14% of Quebec adults had used Le Panier Bleu.

When we asked adults in Quebec to rate their intentions to use the Panier Bleu website to make online purchases when a transactional component is added to this platform, 17% of them think they are very likely to make purchases eventually, and 29% of them , most likely, for a total of 46% of Quebec adults. What reverse the preponderance of Amazon?


Methodology:

To carry out the “E-commerce” component of the NETendances 2021 survey, data was collected from January 5 to 30, 2022, during which 1,035 adult Internet users in Quebec aged 18 and over were interviewed.

These results were then weighted according to the gender, age, region, language and level of education of respondents, in order to ensure representation of all adults in Quebec. The maximum margin of error, according to the estimated proportion, is ± 3.0% for the adult base and the Internet user base, 19 times out of 20.

Leave a Comment